Below is what happens when you want something sweet and do not go to the store to get it. Hubby was responsible for these yummies! He fished through the cabinet, took out the Betty Crocker cookbook and a couple of hours later we had homemade donuts! They were really good.
I am doing this experiment. Here is my weekly update on some lessons I am learning...
- We would've NEVER thought about making homemade donuts to satisfy a sweet tooth. We would've gone to ice cream or somewhere to buy a treat. This was not only yummy, but was fun for the whole family to participate in.
- Remember when Jesus fed the 5,000 with bread and fish? Well, I have seen that firsthand these past couple of weeks. Without even knowing how I am going to feed my family I have been able to feed other families and take goodies to others in need. I am not saying this to make myself look great, the point is everytime I opened my cabinet or freezer to look for something for someone else, there would be all of the ingredients I needed. It has been truly amazing!
- It is all a great cycle. You see, people have been helping me with my experiment again this week. One friend brought chocolate to a party I had just so I could keep it afterward. Another friend, at the same party, brought Oreo's and TWO gallons of milk knowing I could use the leftovers after the party (she even called ahead to ask what type of milk we drink!). Then, another friend brought me a frozen lasagna and frozen peas...just because. I am really grateful to everyone who thinks of us!
- I did purchase some edible items this week. I was in a self-pitiful state one day and went to lunch with a couple of girlfriends. I used a coupon though! I also bought pizza to feed the missionaries. (I didn't think they'd like Top Ramen too much). Also, for the above-mentioned party I bought treats at the Dollar Store. Did you know that we have Crunch N' Munch and Red Vines at the Dollar Store?
- Other than that, I have not bought anything at all. Tonight I took out my leftover frozen beef stew and made mashed potatoes, added some more veggies and the kids devoured it!
- This Friday is my daughter's 11th birthday. With a little planning ahead, I will be able to do it with minimal food purchases.
DO NOT GET ME WRONG...I AM COUNTING THE DAYS UNTIL THE END OF MARCH! ONLY 8 DAYS LEFT, I KNOW I CAN DO IT! See you at Costco on April 1st!