Monday, August 22, 2011

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

If you are anything like me I am always tempted to read a book when I hear they are making a movie. I had planned on reading books by Lisa See when I learned I was moving to China. Before I left I was not yet ready to embrace the culture I was so hesitant to be immersed in. So I waited.

Now that I am here, in Beijing, I felt comfortable to pick it up. I am so glad I did and I am also glad I waited. Now as I walk the streets I think about the ancestors of those around me. Besides the rich Chinese history, that now has personal meaning to me, this story is a beautiful story about friendship, trust, endurance, honor and loyalty. I cannot believe that it is only 258 pages long. The novel is epic in some ways, a lot of ground is covered.

The writing, for me, is what makes this book so good. It is easy to understand, yet intellectual at the same time. There were points where I felt a little bit uncomfortable, but not offended or disgusted in any way. The parts where I did feel awkward were necessary for the story, I felt. If you want a quick read that transports you to a completely different time and place, I recommend this book.

1 comment:

Liz R. said...

haha! i think i tried to talk you into reading this book a couple of years ago!

i still think about the feet binding every so often. ack!

it is interesting, and so sad....