Friday, December 5, 2008

A hostess tip worth sharing

A Snack Bar
You've seen this picture a hundred times, but I wanted to share with you something that really worked well.
Please remove all the "Spring" stuff from this picture and replace it with large glass jars of all shapes and sizes.

Looking back at Thanksgiving weekend where 14 houseguests stayed for four days (ages ranging from 4-74) this was a huge reason the weekend was successful. I really did not want to be a slave to my kitchen the entire time and I really wanted family to feel comfortable to "help themselves". So I took it a step further and instead of just saying it I displayed it all so that they were forced (tempted) to just help themselves.

When guests are fed, they are relaxed. When guests are relaxed, hostess is relaxed.

On the top I used every glass jar and container I could find, went to Costco and put out:

  • M&M's
  • Chex mix
  • Trail mix
  • Red Vines
  • Gummy Bears * these went the fastest*
  • Assorted nuts
  • Pretzel crisps
  • Assorted individually wrapped chocolates
  • Animal Crackers

On the bottom I put out all breakfast items. That way anyone could eat breakfast whenever they wanted, some ate at 7:00 while others ate at 10:00.

  • assortment of cereal
  • assortment of bagels
  • chocolate croissants
  • large fruit bowl
  • assortment of muffins

On nearby shelves in my center island I kept stocked an assortment of drinks, plastic cups and a Sharpie pen.

I hope you give this a try next time you have a houseful of guests.

Next time I think I will even take it one step further and have something for lunches. Any cool ideas?

6 comments:

Decor To Adore said...

Great idea! I will soon have a houseful.

Loved the Twilight spoof!

Jan said...

I love that special spot in your home. It is always there waiting to be enjoyed in such clever ways. Great ideas Jen.

tammy said...

You had it all under control the whole time!!! You could give martha Stewart a run for her money!!!

blueladybug said...

You are so creative and organized! What a great idea!

blueladybug said...

Hi Jen, thanks for commenting on my blog. Since you asked, my birthday is 11/29.

Ky said...

Oh dear... what a fabulous idea! I think I'd gain 20lbs though. I'm definitely a grazer, for sure LOL