I am not the most optimistic person, usually dwelling on things I have not done. But I came here in Summer and now it is Fall and I've noticed some things have changed for the positive. Here are some of them...
- I no longer have panic attacks every time I have to go out of the apartment. You think I am exaggerating?
- I can now recognize one in every ten words in Mandarin, instead of one in thirty words. I actually responded to a "wrong number call" on my cell phone by saying, "Wo shuo Yinyu" = "I speak English".
- I can count to 10 now pretty quickly. I still struggle matching the Mandarin name to the number though.
- I buy raw meat now at the grocery store.
- I don't completely get ripped off at the markets anymore.
- I can tell a taxi driver where to go to, instead of pointing to a card, to about 4 or 5 places.
- I actually told someone else where to get something, instead of someone always telling me.
- I successfully can use video Skype on a regular basis.
- I consistently cook at least three times a week.
- I only have about two meltdowns a month, instead of once a week...baby steps.
- I can tell people where I live in Mandarin.
- Instead of thinking about home every second of every day, I only think about it a few times a day now.
We have to celebrate our small accomplishments! I can only imagine what the next three months will bring.