Saturday, April 5, 2008

Haste Makes Waste


Have you ever made a split second decision that lead to a big mess? Well, a couple of weeks ago in a moment of power I decided to mess with the parental controls on the computer. So many things I do on the computer are just self taught and that is how it was in this matter. So on and on I went putting all these restrictions all over the place, including making myself the sole administrator! Well, I thought I was really cheeky making the password something like "Don't even think about it".
All of this was no problem until a few days ago when we rebooted our computer and it would not take my really cheeky passphrase. The entire computer was locked out because I could not get the password right! Both hubby and I were in panic as the Geek Squad & Microsoft told us we were out of luck. Reformatting was a possible solution, but that would mean losing things. To make a long story short, a good friend (my new hero), worked some magic and erased my password! Such a great relief!
A couple life lessons I learned~
  • Sometimes when you think you are doing the right thing, it does not always turn out to be right.
  • I will never, ever type in a password without thinking it through & writing it down!
  • I spend wayyyyy too much time on the computer! I had to find things to keep me busy instead of checking my email or surfing the net or blogging. Most everything I did in it's place was better for me or my family. Sad, but true!

I hope someone, somewhere, can learn from my mistake!

2 comments:

Jan said...

Oh Jen, what a time of it. I think that you did teach me something. I have a book that I write down everything by my computer because my memory is so bad anymore. Sorry you had to go thru that. But you did learn some personal life lessons its sounds like. I think we all need balance. Thanks for the reminder.

Rachael Hutchings said...

Aaaaah! What a nightmare! Glad it ended well though.