Friday, January 18, 2008

tween room #2

I have spent four days out in the garage. We knew we wanted a wall unit for E.'s room, but did not want to spend the thousands of dollars it would cost. Weeks from ten years old, she is a little pack rat so storage was a must. Also, a workspace for homework was needed.
I found cheap bookshelves at Big Lots for $29.99 each, you know the kind. With being six feet tall and offering five shelves I knew I could do something with them. I picked up two. Putting them together was a bugger!

Adding decorative moulding all by myself. I even mitered the corners on my own. Yay me!



All trimmed out and ready to prime and paint. They will be black. Between the two bookshelves will be a thick piece of glass that will serve as her desk. I am on the hunt for the perfect antique chair to add.

Below is a picture of my own dressing table as a teen. I have sanded it and it is also ready to be primed and painted black. This will be next to her bed.

4 comments:

Poetry of Life said...

Jen you are sooooo talented!! I know where I'm coming when I need some help!

Laura

tammy said...

I am sooo jealous how good you are at it!!! E. Is so lucky to have you!!!!

Liz R. said...

michaels has some big sheets, beautiful martha stewart scrapbook paper. you should line the back of the shelf (on the inside) w/ paper. mod podge or something fun and girlie?

love the molding!

Unknown said...

JEN - this is AMAZING!!!!! I can't wait to see the finished product. Unbelievable that you did this all yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the curtains are SOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I need some of that stripey love in my house...